Castle Blog

Buy Tickets Share

Castle Studies Trust and the Reconstruction

A virtual 3-D reconstruction of Lincoln Castle as it may have looked in the late 12th century has been completed by Peter Lorimer, of Pighill Illustration, in collaboration with FAS Heritage. The reconstruction was funded by the Castle Studies Trust and made possible through 15 years of archaeological research for the Lincoln Castle Revealed project.

Lincoln Castle Revealed: The Story of a Norman Powerhouse and its Anglo-Saxon Precursor is available to buy from Lincoln Castle's online shop.
By purchasing from you are helping to ensure the future preservation of Lincoln Castle for generations to come.

The reconstruction of the castle at this point of history was chosen as it was the culmination of an intense century of development which the research programme, including excavation and building recording, revealed. From the foundation of the castle in 1068 the castle was transformed itself from an earth and timber castle into a substantial stone built one, all revealed by the extensive archaeological research programme.

 As well as revealing what the castle may have looked like, the 3-D reconstruction process led to reappraisal of other parts of the castle; previously unnoticed anomalies were discovered which required further analysis, most noticeably establishing the exact position and size of the original south wall presented a challenge.

When reconstruction began there was little information on this wall except a projection of the line of the southern colonia (Roman) wall. This placed the south wall slicing through the Lucy Tower motte – a relationship which did not seem likely. However, recent work on this part of the motte during a programme of banks stabilisation provided more information. A substantial medieval masonry wall measuring 3 metres wide and traversing the Lucy Tower motte west-east was revealed. The wall, probably founded on the Roman wall, indicates the motte may have been constructed against it, flattening its southern side.

Dr Jonathan Clark says of the reconstruction:

“The culmination of years of fieldwork and detailed research has paid dividends and we have been able to meet the challenge of translating all that information into a reconstruction of the castle in its heyday for all to enjoy.”

Castle Studies Trust Chair of Trustees Jeremy Cunnington says:

"The Castle Studies Trust is delighted with the results of this project as it brings to life how the castle would have looked back at this tumultuous period of its history for the public and how much has changed between then and now.”

The Castle Studies Trust, founded in 2012, is a registered charity (Reg No: 1148165). The Trust awards individual grants of up to £10,000 to promote the understanding of castles in the UK and abroad. So far it has awarded over £150,000 of grants to further the understanding of castles. It is funded entirely by donations from the general public. People can donate in a number of ways: either by credit/debit card at ; by cheque; standing order or payroll giving.

To learn more about these and previous projects the trust has funded people can visit the Trust’s website:

Further Information on Lincoln:
Since its foundation by William the Conqueror Lincoln Castle has had a rich and varied history and played a very important role in Britain’s medieval history. It was frequently visited by kings notably Henry II (1154-89) and King John (1199-1216). However it is probably best known for the Battle of Lincoln in 1141 during “the Anarchy” which saw the capturing of King Stephen, and then nearly. 80 years later, the 1217 siege, during the civil war that followed King John’s refusal to honour Magna Carta in 1215. Besieged by Prince Louis of France, the castle, a royalist stronghold, held out against the French forces and rebel barons, under its formidable constable, Lady Nicola de la Haye.

Jonathan Clark was awarded his doctoral thesis on the royal castle building of King John and King Henry III by the University of York and he has directed the Historic Buildings Section of FAS Heritage since 1999. Jonathan has undertaken research at castle sites across England and Scotland including for ‘Lincoln Castle Revealed’ (2008-present). Jonathan is Cathedral Archaeologist at Lincoln and is guiding the archaeological programme for the Lincoln Cathedral Connected project.

Founded by Peter and Rosalyn Lorimer, Pighill provides interpretation artwork, graphics guides and walks for the archaeological and heritage sectors. Their work can be found in museums and heritage sites across the UK and Europe. Peter’s reconstructions have featured in dozens of publications and magazines.

Contact Jeremy Cunnington on: 07950 926154 or at [email protected]